Merry Christmas!

Another genealogist's Christmas poem ( Oh and by the way, A shout out to cousin Eve who has the misfortune to have a birthday on Christmas Day!)


All I Want For Christmas Is A New Surname (author unknown)

Dear Santa: Don't bring me new dishes,
I don't need a new kind of game.
Genealogists have peculiar wishes
For Christmas I just want a surname.

A new washing machine would be great,
But it's not the desire of my life.
I've just found an ancestor's birth date;
What I need now is the name of his wife.

My heart doesn't yearn for a ring
That would put a real diamond to shame.
What I want is a much cheaper thing;
Please give me Mary's last name.

To see my heart singing with joy,
Don't bring me a read leather suitcase,
Bring me a genealogist's toy;
a surname with dates and a place.

(seen in Illinois State Gen Soc newsletter 1984)

Comments