Black Sheep Sunday: The Infamous Ned Kelly

Irish Australian outlaw Ned Kelly’s remains have finally been identified

IrishCentral.com Staff Writer, CATHAL DERVAN, published an article on Thursday, 1 September 2011 that caught my eye while I was searching for some Irish History info. 

Outlaw Ned Kelly’s remains finally identified in Australia

DNA tests prove his identity 131 years after his death

First, yes, I know Ned Kelly is AUSTRALIAN, but I saw the article in an Irish paper, and second, let me make perfectly clear, as far as I know, I'm not related to Ned Kelly nor do I have any tattoos.  The reason I want to bring this to your attention is an associated article by IrishCentral.com Staff Writer, Cathy Hayes that states: 

"Researchers have discovered that people with tattoos of the Irish gangster Ned Kelly are eight times more likely to be murdered, commit suicide or die by accident." 

But, back to this 'Black Sheep', Ned Kelly.  It was science, DNA science, that connected Kelly to his great-great-nephew.  In a Reuters story, Victoria's state Attorney-General Robert Clark said "To think a group of scientists could identify the body of a man who was executed more than 130 years ago, moved and buried in a haphazard fashion among 33 other prisoners, most of whom are not identified, is amazing".

It IS amazing....now if that amazing DNA science would start working wonders for me with my Irish Ancestors!  It has brought 2 football players together (as mentioned in Eastman's Online Newsletter last week).  

Why can't I find ANY Irish relative at all?

I would be excited to find a black sheep, or a beige sheep or pink sheep...I just want to find an Irish sheep...er, ancestor, cousin, aunt, uncle, ANYTHING!   Ok, to be clear, I confirmed one cousin is my cousin.  I have had a male relative submit DNA, I've submitted mine for the Family Finder test at FamilyTreeDNA.com, which is about all one can do to find your father's line if you're a woman.

Someday, someday maybe all the posts and queries and letters and writing to strangers in Ireland on Facebook, maybe someday it will all pay off and I can find my own black sheep!  

Hello out there to Hanlons, Bradys, O'Connells, Clancys in Ireland....submit your DNA! Pretty please! 


 


Comments