Matrilineal Monday: Whatever happened to Lura Bear Morgan? Appanoose Couty, Iowa

I've been trying to find the loose ends in one of my maternal lines, the Awalt family.  Nancy Awalt (1854-1911) was the granddaughter of Michael Awalt Jr, Revolutionary War Veteran and his wife Sarah Tipps.  Nancy's father, John Awalt and his wife Clarinda Ockerman, made the trip west to Davis County, Iowa from Indiana with his mother in the late1840s.

Nancy married Levi A. Bear 3 Nov 1874 and their daughter Lura married Cal C Morgan 26 Mar 1896 per this record from FamilySearch.org:

The 1895, 1900 and 1910 census all agree on the spelling of Lura.  Lura's husband died in 1905, and I found this on FindAGrave in the Allerton Cemetery, Allerton, Wayne County, Iowa with the following notes from his obituary:
"The Allerton News
Feb. 16, 1905

C. C. Morgan Dead

Cal Morgan, whose serious illness from cancer has been frequently noted by the News, died at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Morgan, Sr., on Monday and was buried in the Allerton cemetery Tuesday at one o'clock. Mr. Morgan has been a sufferer from the ailment that finally ended his life for several months. He has been living on a farm northeast of Corydon until about a month ago when he was brought to his parent's home here for treatment and care. But medical skill could not stay the ravages of the disease and he gradually grew worse until the end came. He was about forty years of age and leaves a widow and three children, parents, five brothers and one sister to mourn."


I have two questions that appear immediately.  First:  I show 4 children for Cal & Lura.
The 1900 census shows:
  • Birdie, female age 3
  • Manford, male age 1
 Iowa had a 1905 State Census and it shows 4 children with C.C. and L.E. Morgan in Allerton:
  • Bertha Morgan
  • Manford Morgan
  • Elmer Morgan
  • Abe Morgan
By 1910 Cal has died and Lura and  these 3 children are living with her parents and brother:
  • Bertha D Morgan, age 13
  • Elmer Morgan, age 9
  • Abram Morgan, age 6.
This would lead me to believe Manford died, but I found a Manford Morgan in the 1915 Iowa Census in Allerton.  I do find a Manford Morgan and brother Elmer in Bureau County, Illinois in 1920.


I can't find Lura, Bertha or Abram however.  Did she re-marry?  Where did you go Lura?

As a postscript...the FindAGrave memorial I mention above was contributed by Dana.  In her bio she states:  " I love reading their memorials and going link by link to weave through history and families….it can be an amazing journey with findagrave. It drives me crazy how many others just gobble up memorials, do nothing with them…not even so much as adding one link, one maiden name, one record, obit, headstone photo and then have the nerve to post on their bios about how much work they do and how dare people ask for their relatives after they have done all the work....I DO do the work. I am dedicated to all those under my care and just hope to get as many under my protection as I can and save them from an eternity of internet obscurity by those that hoard the deceased."

A good reminder to us all to add whatever we can when we find a memorial on FindAGrave.  I am starting to add flowers to anyone I find related, along with my relationship to them (thank you ancestry member tree for that ability) and any little thing I think might help the next person.

Comments