As I mentioned in a previous post, I am stumped at researching my Hanlons:

"I am soooooooooo stuck on my Hanlon line.  John & his sister Margaret apparently just showed up one day in the 1850s from somewhere in Ireland.  I've even had a male cousin test his dna, I've done my own Family Finder dna test at FamilyTreeDNA.com....but alas, no answers!"

So, in addition to searching for obituaries & marriages of Hanlons prior to 1900, I thought, why not look for all the military records as well? 

This is going to be a little more difficult, I fear.  I will be using Fold3.com and look for records.  I believe my Hanlons were still in Ireland during the Revolutionary War.  I will acknowledge that some Irish did come and fight, and return to Ireland.  So I may re-visit whether to search for them in the Revolutionary War records.

Today, I will look at Civil War records...

First I searched for John Hanlon.  My great-grandfather, John Hanlon left Wisconsin for Illinois sometime in the 1860s.  I do not have written records proving where he might have lived before his removal to Stone City,  Iowa in 1870 to join other family members.  There is no indication on his gravestone in Dallas County, Iowa that he was a Civil War Veteran, but thought I should look anyway. 

I found these two John Hanlons from Illinois:

There is a John Hanlon from Gallatin County, Illinois who was taken prisoner by the Union in 1862.  His record is found in the "Union Provost Marshals' File of Paper Relating to Individual Civilians".  According to Fold3.com, "These documents relate to civilians, or "citizens” as they were called during the Civil War, who came in contact with the Army. They include correspondence, provost court papers, orders, passes, paroles, oaths of allegiance, transportation permits, and claims for compensation for property used or destroyed by military forces."

In his papers, John implores that he was arrested by mistake, that he is innocent of any charges, and that in fact, he has not been made aware of the charges for which he is being held.  His appeal is heard and he is released.

There is also a John T Hanlon, part of Company I, 59th Regiment of the Illinois Infantry.  His card lists him as an invalid.  It is part of the group of records:  Civil War and Later Veterans Pension Index.  The application was filed April 15th 1873.  I tried to find John T Hanlon on FindAGrave.com in Illinois, but was not successful.

There were no Civil War records for a James, Thomas, Tom, Jno, Jim, Tom, Francis or Frank Hanlon in Illinois.

While doing a google search for Civil War Records for Hanlons I also came across this web site, which apparently has not been updated for years, but still contains great info.  The site states : 

"Note: Many soldiers were not well educated so others filled out the forms for them. Different people might spell a name different ways, so many soldiers appear with mis-spelt names, and some even appear with more than one spelling! Although the men are listed below by surname, it could be argued that these are all so similar that one should consider them all as equal, i.e. look for a particular first name, regardless of the spelling of the surname.

The muster rolls of the American Civil War (1861 to 1865) show many Hanlons, Hanlins and Handlins - on both the Union and the Confederate sides. The soldiers listed below were extracted from the National Park Service's excellent website of Civil War Soldiers and Sailors. (As stated on the CWSS website, these records are public domain and may be freely reproduced.) Please consult the CWSS website for additional information, and microfilm reference numbers for further research."

Comments