Wedding Wednesday: Hanlon marriages in Wisconsin prior to 1900

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am stumped at researching my Hanlons:

"I am soooooooooo stuck on my Hanlon line.  John & his sister Margaret apparently just showed up one day in the 1850s from somewhere in Ireland.  I've even had a male cousin test his dna, I've done my own Family Finder dna test at FamilyTreeDNA.com....but alas, no answers!"

So, in addition to searching for obituaries of Hanlons prior to 1900, I thought, why not look for marriages as well?  Today I searched all the Wisconsin newspapers published by NewspaperArchive.com for my Hanlon family names of James, John, Thomas and Tom, Francis and Frank, Mary, Catherine, Margaret and Ellen. Only one showed up in the search results:

This announcement was found in thecolumn titled "Emerald Grove Gossip":
"On March 1, [1892], Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Hanlon gave a reception in honor of the marriage of their daughter, Mary, to Daniel Keegan.  It was largely attended.  Mr. and Mrs. Keegan will make their home near this village."

Janesville Gazette | Janesville, Wisconsin |
Wednesday, March 09, 1892 | Page 4


The actual wedding announcement was in the paper the prior week:  "Daniel Keegan, of Union, and Miss Mary Hanlon, of Emerald Grove, were married this morning, the ceremony being performed by Dean McGinnity at 7:30 o'clock, at St. Patrick's church..."


Janesville Gazette | Janesville, Wisconsin | Tuesday, March 01, 1892 | Page 4



Comments