Wedding Wednesday: Hanlon marriages in Iowa prior to 1900

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am stumped at researching my Hanlons:

"I am soooooooooo stuck on my Hanlon line.  John & his sister Margaret apparently just showed up one day in the 1850s from somewhere in Ireland.  I've even had a male cousin test his dna, I've done my own Family Finder dna test at FamilyTreeDNA.com....but alas, no answers!"

So, in addition to searching for obituaries of Hanlons prior to 1900, I thought, why not look for marriages as well?  Today I searched all the Iowa newspapers published by NewspaperArchive.com for my Hanlon family names of James, John, Thomas and Tom, Francis and Frank, Mary, Catherine, Margaret and Ellen.

Unfortunately, I could find no mention of any Hanlon getting married in IOWA in any of the Iowa newspapers prior to 1900, but did find this announcement of a Hanlon wedding from New York in the Palo Alto Reporter, Palo Alto, Iowa, September 6, 1900: 

"Wealthy Juveniles Elope

An elopement culminated in this city when Miss Frances Leo Hanlon of Lewistown and George H Hyde of Ridgeway were married by Rev. Father Leddy of St. Stephen's church.  The bride is a daughter of Patrick Hanlon, a prominent oil man of Elk county.  the bridegroom, George H Hyde, is the son of the late William Hyde of Ridgeway, a former state senator  and a successfulcoal and lumber deal.  Young Hyde is but 20 years old and is said to be worth about $500,000.  The bride is reputed to be worth $1,000,000."


Comments