7 Years: Anniversary of the death of my son

Losing your only child is a grief that never seems to go away.  Yes, life goes on.  New opportunities to be useful are found.  And dare I say, I am even finding happiness again.  I try not to dwell on his death every day, reserving this anniversary to take a look back and succumb to the memories.  I try to do something that reminds me of the good times and not focus on the everlasting knowledge that there was never a cause of death found. He just went to sleep and never woke up.

I found this picture of a trip we had taken to Glenwood Springs, Colorado.  Nick loved mountain biking.  He showed off his scars as badges of honor.  Here he is showing how he came roaring down the mountain near the Crystal River and lost control and ended up in the tree which saved him from barreling over the cliff, 'barely escaping with his life, hanging on a limb' til he was 'rescued'.  He sure was a story teller!  He definitely was filled with some Irish blarney.  You know, for all the time he spent in Ireland going to school, I don't know if he ever kissed the Blarney Stone.


From the book, "I'll Love Your Forever" by Robert Munsch and Sheila McGraw:

"A young woman holds her newborn son 
And looks at him lovingly. 
 Softly she sings to him: 

'I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living
My baby you'll be.'"

Comments